Skip to main content

Your tenancy or lease

If you are a Leaseholder, go here.

If you are a Northwards tenant, we manage your home, but it is owned by Manchester City Council.

You’ll have one of two types of tenancy agreement:

1/ A Secure Tenancy

You have a secure tenancy if you’ve been a Northwards tenant for at least 12 months.

2/ An Introductory Tenancy

You will probably still have an introductory tenancy if you’ve been a Northwards tenant for under a year.

Introductory tenants have fewer rights, but as long as there have been no problems during the first 12 months of your tenancy, you automatically become a secure tenant.

Frequently asked questions about tenancy agreements, the Right to Buy scheme and more

Can I buy my home?

Yes, as long as:

  • You have been a tenant - with us, the City Council or another public sector landlord (like another council or housing association) - or lived in armed forces accommodation - for five years.
  • You do not live in specialist housing (e.g. for elderly or disabled people).

Find out more about the ‘Right to Buy’ scheme on the Manchester City Council website.

Can I take over someone else’s tenancy?

You can apply to take over someone else’s tenancy, but only if:

  • The current tenant has given us notice that they wish to leave
  • You were living at the same address as the tenant when they gave us notice
  • You still live at that address now

Whether we allow you to take over the tenancy or not will depend on your circumstances and the type of property it is.

What happens to a tenancy after a tenant has died?

If a tenant dies, the tenancy stays with any joint tenants at that address.

If there are no joint tenants, the tenancy can pass to:

1/ The tenant’s partner, as long as that person was living with the tenant when they died.

2/ A relative (if there is no partner), as long as they had been living with the tenant for the previous six months.

3/ A carer (if there is no partner or eligible relative who wants the tenancy), as long they have been living with the tenant for at least two years and are officially recognised as a carer by Manchester City Council. However, if the home is bigger than what the relative or carer needs (according to Manchester City Council’s rehousing rules) they have no right to remain in the property and we will help them to find a more suitable home.

If someone has already taken over the tenancy following the death of a previous tenant, the tenancy does not legally have to go to someone else if they die. But we may agree to give that person a new tenancy agreement and allow them to stay in the property.

How do I end my tenancy?

If you wish to end your tenancy, you must:

  • Give us four weeks' notice before you go. If you don’t, we’ll charge you rent for the weeks which you didn’t give us notice and you will not be able to take another Northwards or council tenancy until the amount is paid off.

If you don’t give us any notice at all, you will not be allowed to rent another Northwards or council home in future.

Give us notice to end your tenancy

  • Pay your rent until your tenancy ends and make sure you don't owe any outstanding rent when you leave. You won’t be allowed to rent another Northwards or council home until the amount is paid off.
  • Leave the property, garden, fixtures and fittings in good condition. If we need to pay to put anything right, we will charge you for it and you won’t be able to rent another Northwards or council home until the amount is paid off.
  • Leave the property empty - including your garden and any outhouses or sheds. If we have to remove items, such as furniture, carpets, laminate flooring or rubbish, we will charge you for it and you won’t be able to rent another Northwards or council home until the amount is paid off.
  • Contact your gas and electricity providers to tell them you're moving and give them meter readings on your last day. If you claim benefits, contact the benefits service to tell them when you are moving and where you are moving to. Remember that Royal Mail can arrange to forward your mail too.
  • Return your keys to us before 4.30pm on the day your tenancy ends. If we don't receive your keys until the next day, we'll charge you another week's rent.

Don’t leave anybody else living in the home when you move out. You cannot pass your tenancy onto someone else.

If you are a joint tenant, any one of you can end the tenancy by giving us four weeks' notice. We do not legally have to allow the other tenant(s) to stay - it depends on circumstances and whether the property is more suitable for another type of household (like a family for instance).

Can I sub-let my home? Or take in a lodger?

You can sub-let part of your home, but not all of it, so you can take in a lodger. Before you do this, you must contact us and get our permission in writing. We will check the circumstances before giving the go ahead (for example, making sure the person hasn’t got a history of anti-social behaviour).

Can I run a business from my home?

Yes, as long as it is legal, doesn’t pose a risk to the property or cause a problem for your neighbours. However, you must get our permission in writing first. Contact us about this.


People who have bought their flat from Manchester City Council are called 'leaseholders'.

A lease is a private contract between the leaseholder and the owner of the building as a whole - the Council.

As a leaseholder, you have certain rights and responsibilities. To find out more about these, as well as things like...

  • making changes to your property
  • service charges, sinking funds and ground rent
  • selling your home

...take a look at our Leaseholder handbook (PDF 802KB).

Your service charge statement

If you are a leaseholder and would like to look at your service charge balance and check your account, click below to look at it on the Manchester City Council website:

your service charge statement

We don’t mean to make you hungry, but we need a quick word about cookies. We use cookies on our website to provide you with the best experience. For details on the cookies we use, please see our privacy policy. Choose ‘Accept’ to use our website with these cookies or ‘Change settings’ to see your options