We're helping to put gas safety in the picture by encouraging north Manchester pupils to take part in a charity poster competition!
Youngsters have the chance of pocketing at least £300 for themselves and £500 for their school if they put their artistic skills to good use in the Carbon Monoxide and Gas Safety Society’s national contest.
Pupils are asked to produce a poster highlighting the dangers of Carbon Monoxide and other burning fuels. There will be two winners chosen – one each from the north and south of the country - with the possibility of an overall UK winner being announced too.
Steve Kirkham, one of Northwards’ Heads of Home Improvements said: “The Society has asked us to promote this competition in schools across north Manchester, and we’re more than happy to oblige. This is such an important issue and the more aware we can make residents of this potentially life-threatening problem, the better.”
Every year around 30 people in the UK are recorded as having died of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Hundreds more suffer ill-effects from exposure to the gas, sometimes leaving them permanently disabled. Carbon Monoxide can be emitted from faulty heating and cooking appliances, and is especially dangerous because it cannot be sensed by humans - we can’t see, smell, hear, taste of feel it.
To help combat this, Northwards carries out free annual gas safety checks at each one of the 13,000 council homes we manage across north Manchester. Click here to make an appointment for your gas safety check or call us on 03000 123 123.
The Carbon Monoxide and Gas Safety Society are an independent charity and this is their third year running the competition. The closing date is 31 July 2011 and is aimed at children aged between 10 and 11 years. For more information, visit http://www.co-gassafety.co.uk/competition.html.