Sorry this job is no longer available.
- Working Hours: 35 hours per week: flexible working hours (Mon – Fri)
- Closing Date: Monday 14 May 2018
- Vacancy Type: Full Time
- Salary: £60,000
Additional Vacancy Information
Northwards Housing is a not-for-profit ALMO (Arms-Length Management Organisation) that manages circa. 13,000 council homes across north Manchester.
As a business, we have recently undergone a full review of our property services proposition and, with some exciting capital projects written into 2018/19, we are looking to strengthen our commercial and contractual management capability. We are also making plans for succession and with our current Head of Design & Delivery due to retire in a year's time, we are looking for someone that can grow and aspire to a potential senior management role in the next 12 months.
We have a challenging few years ahead and our priorities, as for all social housing providers, have been defined and informed following tragic events at Grenfell last year. These include a strong emphasis on fire safety and sprinkler installations alongside delivering our Decent Homes programme and growing our aids & adaptations service.
To help us secure, future proof and support a sustainable programme delivery, we are creating a new role of Assistant Head of Design & Delivery - Commercial. Leading a team of quantity surveyors and our newly strengthened fire and asbestos division, you will need to have strong project management skills, an eye for detail and be driven to delivering the right outcomes.
- Liaising with all stakeholders and key partners to enable the commercial performance of all projects on time and within budget.
- Assisting in the preparation and verification of pricing models, providing accurate cost advice and financial reporting.
- Liaising with capital investment team to ensure cost management objectives are met; and within prescribed timescales.
- Attending main contractor and supplier interviews and carrying out full tender analysis and comparisons through to preparing the recommendation report.
- Ensuring projects are managed in accordance with the contract and meeting the required reporting deadlines.
- Identifying risks & opportunities; addressing and resolving problems at project level, mitigating any potential risk to the operation at a business level.
- Liaising with the project delivery teams and managing the production of accurate forecasting and cash flow against the investment programme.
- Reviewing principal contractors' contracts and identifying where clauses are in potential breach of policies and guidelines, making recommendations to ensure compliance.
- Reviewing and ensuring best practice guidelines are fully understood and are being complied with throughout the Design & Delivery Team.
The Successful Applicant
It is a given that you will have the background, technical skills and experience to fulfil this role, and whilst a background in social housing would be helpful, it is not essential, as we are looking for someone who can lead the team from the front and face the challenges head on.
- Proven track record of delivering a wide range of construction projects.
- Degree in quantity surveying or similar discipline.
- Qualified MRICS / MCIOB , or willing to work towards chartered status.
- Credible operating at board, director and stakeholder levels
- Demonstrable experience working with various forms of construction contracts.
- Excellent analytical skills to make informed, balanced business decisions and reporting findings to clients and stakeholders.
What's on Offer
- Salary: up to £60,000
- Pension: local governments scheme (approx. 17.6% employer contribution)
- 35-hour week: flexible working hours (Mon-Fri)
- 27 days holiday (+Bank Holidays)
- Birthday Leave: have a day off on us!
- Green Car Scheme: lease an environmentally-friendly car
- Cycle to Work Scheme: get a tax-free bike and cut down on carbon by cycling to work
- Public Transport Season Ticket Loans: interest free loans spread over 12 months
- Perkz: High street, leisure and travel discounts and offers
- Health & Wellbeing benefits including affordable gym membership, free flu jabs, occupational health assessments and discounted health care
- N.I.C.E. (Northwards Improving the Community & Environment) Days: a paid day to volunteer in the community
- Investors In People GOLD Award